Pages

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

2/7/2014 Sho’ah: Holocaust and Covenant Theology

by Kiriell Popienko

“I will claim you as my own people, and I will be your God.” –Exodus 6:7

The foundation of Judaism is God’s covenant with Israel, a promise from God that he will protect and cherish the Israelites as long as they obey his commands.  The horrors of the Holocaust however caused many Jews to lose both their faith in God and the covenant.  The theological implications of the holocaust are worthwhile to examine because they are specific to a singular faith.  Why was God not there when his people needed him most? Was it because God doesn't exist? Was it a test of faith? Or was it because the Israelites broke their covenant with God?

I will first break down the covenant into its necessary and sufficient conditions, both for God and for the Israelites. By translating the covenant into a logical form more suited for philosophical discussion, we will then hope to discover through inquiry the role God and subsequently his people played during the Holocaust.  There will also be a section of bible trivia which may or may not involve confectionery treats, but seriously don’t get your hopes up.  

“Never shall I forget those moments that murdered my God and my soul.” –Elie Wiesel

No comments:

Post a Comment

What did you think?