Pages

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

4/4/2014 Hazing

by Gabrielle Crosby

I suppose you could say my topic is hazing though I am starting to think that the root of my confusion on the subject lies in a realm beyond simple bullying.  A growing concern in America due to the increasing extremity of college Greek life and sport team 'rituals', hazing is defined as the rite of passage imposed on incoming group members that involves varying degrees of harassment, humiliation, or psychological and physical abuse.  I find this definition unsettling on all levels and the continuation of such a system incomprehensible. From the perspective of both the dominating individuals and the willingly oppressed, it seems pretty lose-lose, and yet the cycle has continued for thousands of years.

Since I know next to nothing on the topic, this presentation will be 90% guided questions and 10% background history and exemplary articles.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What did you think?